I can’t believe it. 6 months of prep and it is all over and done. Last Sunday was my competition and what an amazing day it was. I did not place this time but got a medal for taking part. A medal that will always remind me of how I beat all the odds and went to do what I was told would be impossible. I know that hand on heart I have given it my absolute all. There is nothing more I could have done to do any better than I did. And with that, I feel like a winner.
Well and truly, this was a team effort. It may have been me going through the hunger and the pain, but I could not have done it without the amazing people around me. So I thought it was time for a little gratitude and big thank yous.
A time for THANKS
- First and foremost I have to thank my business partner and bestestest friend in the world Jannette. She founded female empowerment community Scarlet Ladies Talk with me and had it not been for her hard work, undying support for me and picking up all my slack, I would not have been able to train as hard as I did. And while she was nearly buckling under the pressure, she was always there to pick me back up when I started to panic. “Just two more weeks to go now, Sarah” she would say. “You can do this! Don’t give up now!” She really had my back! – Thank you chick. I love you and I could have never done it without you!!!
- Behold, the whizard, the all-knowing, the amazing Dan Corbett. Dan was my third prep coach and when I contacted him, my previous coach had done an aweful lot of damage. I was far, far behind from where I should have been with lots of weight still to lose and my body not functioning as it should. Dan managed to completely reset my body, got it to work again and the weight started falling off. Just look at my transformation pictures… That was all Dan! I was so far behind that what we agreed on was that he would get me in good enough shape so I would not be “the fatty on stage”. In the end, I was not only in an ok shape. I was in amazing shape. I looked competitive. So much so that I had every chance of winning. In fact, I had people coming up to me after my stage presentation – random strangers – telling me they were surprised I did not place. Above all, Dan gave me my confidence back after it was completely shattered by my previous coach. He is about the most amazing, knowledgeable, kind and supportive man I know! (Except for in the gym where his diabolical side comes out😀 )
- Phil Davies who has helped me so, so much in the gym. To support my charity efforts he trained me at what can’t have been more than his cost level. He believed in me and really wanted to help. He is an amazing personal trainer and made sure that I kept at the right intensity during my workouts, pushing myself but keeping good form throughout. Thanks to him I stayed injury free despite working as hard as I did. He is about to step on stage again himself at the BNBF British Finals in Scotland. Good luck Big Guy! You’ve got this!
- You can have the most amazing physique on stage, but if you don’t know how to show it off, you might as well go sit down. Posing and stage presence is crucial and it was a strike of luck that I found Chrissy Dean. She is probably one of the nicest people I have ever met and after we agreed that she will teach me posing she asked me how I got into bodybuilding during our first session. When I told her my story she said “Your sessions are free and I want to see you twice a week!” I could not believe it. Thanks to her I went from wanting to hide behind the stage curtain to really rocking it on the stage. But it not stop there: she drove me all the way to Leamington Spa and was there for me on the day, backstage and wherever I needed her. An amazing trainer and coach, she has also become a good friend and we are looking to work together to give rape victims confidence through strength training.
- Special thanks also go to Catfort Fit4Less gym where I trained with Phil and Soho Gyms Borough where I trained with Chrissy. Both allowed me to come in for free for every single one of my sessions in order to support my cause. The staff in both those gyms were absolutely amazing, friendly and supportive. And I have to thank the random people who endured watching me during my posing sessions in order to get me used to “showing off” in a bikini.
- The UKDFBA and Lee Kemp who donated both my membership and contest entry fee to Rosa UK. Thanks guys, you are awesome!
- Brenda Gabriel, PR extraordinaire, who works with – get this – FEMALE DISRUPTORS and agreed to help me to support my cause. Amazingly she got me on the London Live news this Tuesday. How she pulled that off in the short period of time she had is beyond me.
- Christine who did my hair and make up on the day. She is a real artist and I could not believe the transformation. Incredible.
- I want to thank all my friends who came all the way to Leamington Spa to cheer for me. I was humbled to see you all. I was so nervous when I got on stage that I was shaking like a leaf. You guys were the loudest crowd in the audience and I clearly had the most enthusiastic supporters. It really got me through and kept that smile on my face. I was working it for you up there!
- And last but not least I want to thank all of you out there who have been reading my newsletter, been with me in spirit, rooting for me, sending me encouraging messages and engaging on social media with me. All of this means so much to me, I have been overwhelmed by the support I have been getting.
It is not too late to donate to my charity Rosa UK. So please, please, please give generously here and share the link far and wide: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/strongforgirls
With love and gratitude